Thursday, May 22, 2008

Feeling Inspired?



In the "Why did I start this blog" post last week I talked about how I had felt stagnant and didn't know what I wanted to shoot at one point not too too long ago. Today, I'd like to offer some ideas about how to get out of that rut. It's kinda like the Waiting place, in Dr. Seuss' book Oh, the Places You'll Go! You might be there momentarily, but you'll move past it. And if you need some inspiration...

  • Take a trip---- Any trip will probably do, but for me, changing my surroundings to something a bit foreign has always, and continually does, make me want to take photos. They may or may not be for the portfolio, that's irrelevant. What is important, is to feel a bit of inspiration when behind the lens.
  • Carry a camera in your car (if you live in NYC, your bag will do)---- You don't need a big medium format monster or some slr--a fine point and shoot, holga/diana/lomo, Fuji GX645, or anything else small and lightweight will suffice. Then when you're going around and you see that really amazing shot and think, "if I only had my camera," you'll have a camera and the rest is up to you.
  • Start a personal project---- I chose old American cars from the late 60's to early 80's to get me started. I still shoot em, cause they just look so cool.
  • Go to an Art Museum---- Be it photos or paintings or sculpture, find something that moves you.
  • Read books.
  • Visit family---- Often leads into some of the most interesting and amazing and intimate photos.
  • Get a hobby---- Having a life outside of photography is a great thing.

In my experience of it, I've produced my most interesting work when I've felt inspired---which brings me back to why I got into photography in the first place. It's win-win.

No comments: